W is for Wool Draper
By BARLOW, Thomas, 1750
Thomas Barlow Woollen Draper.
- Author: BARLOW, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: at the Lamb in New Bond Street the Corner of Bruton Street
- Publication date: c1750
- Physical description: Engraved trade card, trimmed to all four corners, loss to left hand side
- Dimensions: 165 by 120mm (6.5 by 4.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17959
Although no other record of the business survive, the style and language of Barlow’s card indicates that he was active at New Bond Street during the mid-eighteenth century. ‘The European Magazine’ of 1785 noted the bankruptcy of a “Thomas Barlow, of Mancester, mercer and woollen-draper”, but there is little reason to believe that the Barlow of this trade-card had made such a significant relocation.