W is for Warehouseman
By SHORT, John, 1861
John Short, Late Davenport Wholesale Birmingham and Sheffield Warehouseman, Cutler, Plater, Silversmith. Jeweller &c.
- Author: SHORT, John
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: 15 Lime Street, Fenchurch Street
- Publication date: 1861-c1880
- Physical description: Engraved trade card.
- Dimensions: 75 by 110mm. (3 by 4.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17934
In a commission of 1884 inquiring into London’s livery companies it was noted that the shop and warehouse at 15a Lime Street were rented to Short for £120 by the Pewterers’ Company, of which he was not a member, from 1861. Indeed, in 1863, ‘The Goldsmiths’, jewellers’, silversmiths’, watchmakers’, opticians’, and cutlers’ directory’ recorded Short at the same address, while by 1880, The Post Office Directory lists the business as that of John Short & Son.