Views of Kyoto
By CHATELAIN, Henri Abraham, 1719
Vue et Description de la Ville de Meaco Capitale du Japon avec d’autres particularitez du pays.
- Author: CHATELAIN, Henri Abraham
- Publication place: [Amsterdam
- Publication date: 1714–1720].
- Physical description: Engraved sheet with five views and a plan.
- Dimensions: 437 by 519mm. (17.25 by 20.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15862
The French text in the middle described the cities of Kyoto and Tokyo. The views are of Kyoto, the Dutch settlement of Deshima, two views of the town and temple Sakai, a Japanese marriage ceremony, and the persecution of Christian martyrs. Deshima was the base of the Dutch East India Company and one of the few areas in which European traders were allowed during the sakoku period.
The ‘Atlas Historique’ was an ambitious work covering genealogy, cosmography, topography, heraldry and chronology.