- [Set of four views]  To the Right Honourable Earl Grosvenor &c This View of Grosvenor Square Is with Greatest respect inscribed by his Lordships obedient & obliged Servant Robert Pollard [; 2] To the Right Honourable Francis Godolphin Marquis of Caermarthen, Baron Osbourne &c.&c. This View of Hanover Square from a Drawing in his Possession Is with great respect inscribed by His Lordship's obedient & obliged Servants Rob.t Pollard & Fra.s Jukes [; 3] To His Grace Francis, Duke of Bedford, Marquis of Tavistock &c.&c. This View of Bloomsbury Square. Is with the greatest respect inscribed by his Graces obedient & obliged Servants Rob.t Pollard & Fra.s Jukes [; 4] To the ladies and gentlemen inhabitants, This View of Queen Square is with the grateful respect inscribed by their obedient & obliged servant Rob.t Pollard;
- POLLARD, Robert, DODD, R[obert], JUKES, F[rancis]. after DAYES, E[dward]
- [1 & 2] by R. Pollard Engraver. No. 7 Braynes Row. Spa Fields, & F. Jukes, Howland Street. [3 & 4] by R. Pollard Engraver. No. 7 Braynes Row. Spa Fields.
- Publication place
- Publication date
- [1 & 2] Dec. 1, 1787;  July 28, 1789;  July 1, 1789.
- Image: each approximately 445 by 555mm (17.5 by 21.75 inches). Sheet: each approximately 535 by 685mm (21 by 27 inches).
A set of four engravings with aquatint.
A quartet of musicians play a barrel organ, a lute, a triangle, and a tambourine, watched by a lady in a passing carriage. Another carriage is parked at the left outside Grosvenor House. A young man reads a billet deux while walking a pair of dogs and carrying a basket of flowers.
Grosvenor Square was one of the consistently most fashionable areas of London throughout the eighteenth century, forming the centre piece of the 100 acre Grosvenor estate. It was built between 1725 and 1731 and, with the exception of Lincoln's Inn, is the largest square in London. The houses were large and the inhabitants amongst the most important people in the land with a predominance of aristocracy that lasted well into the twentieth century. Only two of the original houses survive and much of what can be seen today results from the large scale remodelling of the 1920s onwards. At the time of publication the American ambassador had already taken up residence in the square: John Adams, the first U.S. ambassador and second president, lived at No. 9 between 1786 and 1797.
A view of Hanover Square, looking south towards the St George's Church, with a mixture of pedestrians, riders and coaches braving the cobbblestones. Of particular interest is the 'high-flyer', a phæton carriage with the cab above the four horses pulling it. Behind railings the centre of the square is a simple lawn.
View across the square towards Bedford House, with railed garden in the centre, figures and carriages in the street in the foreground, and a milkmaid driving two cows.
The square was built by James Burton and developed by 4th Earl of Southampton in the late seventeenth century, and was initially known as Southampton Square. It was one of the earliest London squares. The Earl's own house, then known as Southampton House and later as Bedford House after the square, and the rest of the Bloomsbury Estate passed by marriage from the Earls of Southampton to the Dukes of Bedford, occupied the whole of the north side of the square, where Bedford Place is now located.
On April 9, 1694, Bloomsbury Square was the setting for an infamous duel. The then 23-year-old Scottish economist and financier John Law fought Edward 'Beau' Wilson, killing him with a single pass and thrust of his sword. Law would be convicted of murder and sentenced to death, but would escape his condemned cell and go on to become the founder of the Mississippi Company and the de facto prime minister of France.
The church of St George the Martyr is in the left foreground. Also visible are the first few houses beyond the corner of Cosmo Place now containing the Queen's Larder.
Queen Square was originally constructed between 1716 and 1725. It was formed from the garden of the house of Sir John Cutler baronet (1608-1693), whose last surviving child, Lady Radnor, died in 1697 leaving no issue. It was left open to the north for the landscape formed by the hills of Hampstead and Highgate.
Edward Dayes (1763-1804) was a British painter and draughtsman to the Duke of York.
Born at Newcastle-on-Tyne, Robert Pollard (1755-1838) was articled to a watch-smith there, and then became a pupil of Richard Wilson. For a time he practised as a landscape and marine painter, but in 1781 he moved to London, worked as an engraver for the printseller John Harris, and established himself in a studio in Spa Fields, London.
In 1788 Pollard was elected a fellow, and in the following year a director, of the Incorporated Society of Artists, which closed down in 1791. He was in business for many years in Islington. In 1810 he sold up, but then in Holloway Place ran a printselling business, for which his son James supplied many of the designs.
In October 1836, as the last surviving member, Pollard gave the charter, books, and papers of the Incorporated Society to the Royal Academy. They had been passed to him in 1808 by Charles Taylor. Pollard died on 23 May 1838.
Francis Jukes (1745–1812) was a prolific engraver and publisher, chiefly known for his topographical and shipping prints, the majority in aquatint.
Robert Dodd (1748-1815) was a British marine painter and aquatint engraver. He is known for his works on the French Revolutionary Wars.
The original drawings for the set are in the British Museum.