View of the Nieumarkt and the Waag
By SCHENK, Leonard, 1720
Gesigt van de Nieuwe Markt, en S. Antoni Waag Te sied na de Brouwery van de Haan tot Amsterdam. Vue du Marché Neue et du Poids St. Antoine vers la Brasserie du Coq a Amsterdam.
- Author: SCHENK, Leonard
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: Leonard Schenck
- Publication date: c1720
- Physical description: Engraving with etching, on two sheets joined.
- Dimensions: 555 by 905mm (21.75 by 35.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14468
The Nieuwmarkt is dominated by a building known as the Waag, originally a gate in the Medieval city walls but converted into a weighing house after the walls were demolished in the seventeenth century. The square was created when the canals around the Waag were filled in 1614, and was used as a marketplace.
Leonard Schenk (fl.1720–1746) worked as an engraver and publisher in Amsterdam.