“Very ornamental over chimneys or in halls, stair-cases or entries”
By NICHOLLS, Sutton [and] NUTTING, Joseph, 1714
A New Prospect of ye South-Side of ye City of London with the River Thames & London Bridge; [with] A New Prospect of ye North-Side of ye City of London with New Bedlam & Moore Fields .
- Author: NICHOLLS, Sutton [and] NUTTING, Joseph
- Publication place: London [and] London
- Publisher: Printed and Sold by Henry Overton at the White Horse without Newgate [and] Printed and Sold by Henry Overton at the White Horse without Newgate
- Publication date: [c1710-16] and [c1710-16]
- Physical description: A pair of copper engravings, each printed on three sheets, joined.
- Dimensions: Image: 610 by 1380mm (24 by 54.25 inches). Sheet:  630 by 1465mm (24.75 by 57.5 inches),  696 by 1470mm (27.5 by 58 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12500
The title and imprint appear in a cartouche in the middle of the sky, surmounted by City regalia and with a scallop shell forming its base; it is flanked on the left by a river god holding the Royal Standard (pre-1707 design), and on the right by a river goddess holding a City banner. The city arms are at top right, lacking the helm in the crest.
The present example is the second state of an earlier panorama published by James Walker, dated by Hyde to approximately 1704.
The ‘New Prospect of ye North-Side [sic]’ extends from St Peter Cornhill on the left to St Martin Ludgate on the right. Most of the mid-distance is occupied by a portrait of Hooke’s Bethlehem Hospital (built 1675–1676). St Michael Crooked Lane still lacks a spire. The dome of St Paul’s Cathedral is inaccurately represented, being the artist’s idea of how it would appear on completion. Staffage includes criers, beggars, a boy climbing over a fence into the grounds of Bethlehem Hospital, booksellers displaying their wares on the Hospital fence, and ladies drying sheets on the Hospital lawns.
The Dedication appears at top left in a cartouche festooned on either side and surmounted by the City arms. The central title cartouche is flanked by a river god and a river goddess each holding an oar. The city arms appear at top right lacking the helm in the crest. The prospect was listed in Henry Overton’s 1717 catalogue (where it is recommended as “very ornamental over chimneys or in Halls, Stair-Cases, or Entries”), and also in the 1734 catalogue of Overton and Hoole.
The British Museum dates both prints to c1710. The ‘South-Side’ prospect was first published c1704 by James Walker, around the time that Gideon Harvey became Physician at the Tower. The ‘North-Side’ Prospect was also published by Walker, presumably at the same time. The prints both appear in Overton’s 1717 catalogue.