Trade card advertising the stock of the map and printseller Peter Griffin
By GRIFFIN, Peter; and LE CLERC., 1750
Peter Griffin,.. from the late — Overtons.
- Author: GRIFFIN, Peter; and LE CLERC.
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: Sold by Peter Griffin Map & Printseller at the three Crowns & Dial next the Globe Tavern Fleet Street
- Publication date: 1747.
- Physical description: Engraved trade card.
- Dimensions: 195 by 165mm. (7.75 by 6.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11764
Griffin’s imprint appears again below a image of a dial and three crowns, and gives notice that he used to work for the late Mary and Philip Overton — “from the late Overtons”. Griffin had been apprenticed to Philip Overton sometime in the late 1730s. Although there is scant information regarding his life, it may be reasonably argued that he left the employment of the Overtons soon after the death of Philip, setting up business on the same street in 1747. Unfortunately, the new venture did not last long with the Peter passing away in 1749. The business was briefly continued by his wife Elizabeth, whose imprint appears on some satire prints dating from 1750.
Engraved by “Le Clerc”, who engraved a number of other trade cards.
- BM Heal 100.32