Three suns in the sky
By BLAEU, Johannes, 1665
[Novaya Zemlya] Figura admirandi meteori.
- Author: BLAEU, Johannes
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publication date: 1665.
- Physical description: Engraved illustration with contemporary hand-colour, set within text.
- Dimensions: 235 by 236mm. (9.25 by 9.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 9691
The map appeared in the ‘Atlas Major’, which, in its various editions, was the largest atlas ever published. It was justly famed for its production values, its high typographic standard, and the quality of its engraving, ornamentation, binding and colouring. The atlas frequently served as the official gift of the Dutch Republic to princes and other authorities. It is one of the most lavish and highly prized of all seventeenth-century illustrated books.
- Van der Krogt
- Koeman, C and van der Krogt, Pieter (2000–2010). Koeman’s Atlantes Neerlandici. MS’t Goy-Houten: HES & De Graaf Publishers. 9 vols.
- Shirley, British Library.
- Shirley, Rodney. (2004). Maps in the Atlases of the British Library: A descriptive catalogue cAD850 to 1800. London: British Library. 2 vols.