Theodor de Bry
By BRY, Theodor de, 1725
Theodorus de Bry Leodinensis
- Author: BRY, Theodor de
- Publication place: [Nuremberg
- Publisher: Haeredes Johann Daniel Tauberi
- Publication date: 1725].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait, some minor spotting.
- Dimensions: 298 by 183mm (11.75 by 7.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17781
In 1597, at the age of 69, de Bry engraved a self-portrait, a genre which remained relatively rare at the time. The engraving shows his upper body, one hand holding a pair of compasses and the other a skull, set in an oval frame containing his name and the year. The present example of de Bry’s portrait has been copied in part from the original, cutting out his arms and presenting only a bust. It has an architectural frame and Latin text below the image describing de Bry as a bookseller and engraver of Frankfurt. It also notes that the portrait is from the collection of Friedrich Roth-Scholtz, a German bookseller, editor and publisher, in whose “Icones Virorum” (1725) the engraved plate was included.