The visit of the Shah
By CASEY, James R., 1873
Memorial of the Visit of the Shah of Persia To the South West India Docks, June 25th 1873.
- Author: CASEY, James R.
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: W. Straker, Lith., 53, Ludgate Hill EC
- Publication date: 1873
- Physical description: Lithograph.
- Dimensions: Image: 202 by 580mm (8 by 22.75 inches). Sheet: 325 by 680mm (12.75 by 26.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12434
Naser al-Din was the first modern Persian monarch to visit Europe, and the print records his visit to the London docks, where a frigate from the Royal Navy, the HMS Shah, was named in his honour. He was also appointed a Knight of the Garter by Queen Victoria. He was deeply interested in the potential of European technology, and wanted to create an independent telegraph service and railway network in his own realm.