The legacy of the seventeenth century in London
By HOLLAR, Wenceslaus, 1697
The Prospect of London and Westminster
- Author: HOLLAR, Wenceslaus
- Publication place: London
- Publication date: after 1697
- Physical description: Engraved panorama.
- Dimensions: 325 by 1530mm. (12.75 by 60.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12182
The view offers a snapshot of everyday life in the city: on the river, the Lambeth ferry is visible with a coach and two horses on board, with passengers waiting on the opposite bank. The hills of Hampstead and Highgate have been outlined on the horizon, indicating the growth of the city after the fire.
Pennington dates this state to after 1697, when the new St Paul’s was completed. This is an early impression of the state, from the late seventeenth century.
- Pennington 1013 (ii) (d).
- Pennington, R. (2002). A descriptive catalogue of the etched work of Wenceslaus Hollar, 1607–1677. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.