The history of St Paul’s
By LOGGAN, D[avid], 1730
[Views of St Paul’s Cathedral before and after the fire, with a prospect of London before the Fire].
- Author: LOGGAN, D[avid]
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed and sold by John Bowles at Mercers Hall
- Publication date: c.1730
- Physical description: Engraved print.
- Dimensions: Image: 385 by 460mm (15.25 by 18 inches). Sheet: 410 by 500mm (16.25 by 19.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12445
The plate was originally published in 1658 by Daniel King as a broadside urging the restoration of St Paul’s. After the English Civil War and during the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell, the Cathedral had been severely damaged: the lead was removed from the cathedral’s roof to use to make water pipes; the interior was used as a cavalry barracks; and coal smoke disintegrated the stonework. It was re-engraved “to make the plate saleable for a new market which saw King’s views as historical evidence of the old St. Paul’s, and no longer as a political statement about the neglect of the Cathedral by the Commonwealth” (BM). Construction of the second cathedral was only fully completed in the late 1720s, so it was a topic of contemporary interest. It was republished in 1731 as part of the series ‘London Described’ by Bowles.
- Adams 29.30
- Adams, B. (1983). London Illustrated 1604–1851. London: The Library Association.
- BM Mm,2.137.