The Engraving of the First Carriage, the “Ariel” is respectfully inscribed to the Directors of the Aerial Transit Company, by their obedient Servants, The Publishers.
- Author: WALTON, W.L.
- Publication place: [London
- Publisher: W. Ackermann & Co., Strand
- Publication date: 1842].
- Physical description: Lithograph, trimmed at lower edge.
- Dimensions: Image: 229 by 305mm (9 by 12 inches). Sheet: 285 by 320mm (11.25 by 12.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12388
Unfortunately, however, the Ariel was incapable of sustained flight, since it had insufficient power from its heavy steam engine to fly. A more successful model was built in 1848 which was able to fly for small distances within a hangar. They were also plagued by public suspicions that the whole project was a hoax.
W.L. Walton (fl.1834–55) was a British engraver active in Paris.