The Emperors’ lineage
By CHATELAIN, Zacharie and CHATELAIN, Henri Abraham, 1719
Succession des Empereurs du Japon avec une description du Meutre de L’Empereur Cubo et la Reception des Ambassadeurs Hollandois en ce Pays la
- Author: CHATELAIN, Zacharie and CHATELAIN, Henri Abraham
- Publication place: [Amsterdam
- Publisher: François L’Honoré & Compagnie Libraries
- Publication date: 1719].
- Physical description: Engraved spread with family tree, two scenes, text and inset map.
- Dimensions: 441 by 515mm. (17.25 by 20.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15864
Zacharie Chatelain (d. 1723) was the father of Henri Abraham (1684–1743) and Zacharie Junior (1690–1754). They worked as a partnership publishing the ‘Atlas…’ under several different Chatelain imprints, depending on the Chatelain family partnerships at the time of publication.
The atlas was published in seven volumes between 1705 and 1720, with a second edition appearing in 1732. The maps were accompanied by information pertaining to cosmography, geography, history, chronology, genealogy, topography, heraldry, and costume of the world. The maps in the “Atlas Historique” were mainly based on those of the French cartographer, Guillaume De L’Isle, but were presented by the Chatelains in an encyclopaedia form. The accompanying text is in French and often is printed in two columns on the page with maps and other illustrations interspersed. Each map and table is numbered consecutively within its volume and all maps bear the privileges of the States of Holland and West-Friesland.
- Hubbard 74.
- Hubbard, J. and Mihama, Y. (2012). Japoniæ insulæ. Houten: HES & De Graaf Publishers BV.