By BOWLES, Henry Carington and CARVER, Samuel, 1840
A View of Somerset Place, and the Church of St Mary-Le-Strand, London.
- Author: BOWLES, Henry Carington and CARVER, Samuel
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published by F. West, 83 Fleet Street
- Publication date: c.1840
- Physical description: Etching with hand colour.
- Dimensions: Image: 265 by 414mm (10.5 by 16.25 inches). Sheet: 355 by 492mm (14 by 19.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12400
The print was first produced between 1780 and 1797, when the North Wing (the visible façade, designed by Inigo Jones) was finished. West would have included this print to show readers what Somerset House looked like in the early days of construction. By 1840 King’s College had been built to the east. To the left of the image is the church of St Mary-Le-Strand, the first of the 50 churches built under the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches, set up following the Great Fire of London; designed by the renowned architect James Gibbs (1682–1754), construction began in 1714, with the church consecrated in 1723.
- Adams 193.29
- Adams, B. (1983). London Illustrated 1604–1851. London: The Library Association.