Sir Francis Drake
By ?HARDING, Edward
[Sir Francis Drake]
- Author: ?HARDING, Edward
- Publication place: [London
- Publisher: ?Edward Harding
- Publication date: early 19th century].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 140 by 128mm (5.5 by 5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17909
Sir Francis Drake (c1540-1596) was an English explorer, sea captain, privateer, and politician. Drake is best known for his circumnavigation of the world in a single expedition: leaving England on the 13th December 1577 with five ships, Drake returned almost three years later, his voyage having directly challenged Spain’s hegemony of the New World, at the same time that England was confronting her power over Europe. Drake also famously helped defeat the Armada in 1588.
- NPG D25415