By H[ONDIUS], H[endrik], 1600
- Author: H[ONDIUS], H[endrik]
- Publication place: [The Hague
- Publisher: ex officina Bucoldi Cornelii Nieulandii
- Publication date: 1602].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 170 by 120mm. (6.75 by 4.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17727
This portrait appeared in Jacob Verheiden’s ‘Praestantium Theologorum Effigies’ (1602), a collection of portraits of some of the most important theological figures, and like the majority, was made by Hendrik Hondius I. It shows the upper half of Grynaeus wearing simple layered garments, and is accompanied by four lines of Latin verse praising his achievements: “Te quicumque, Simon Grinaee, aspexit, amavit: / Splenduit in vultu grata tanta tuo. / Te quicumque, Simon Grinaee, audivit, amavit: / Facundo fluxit tantus ab ore lepos” (‘Whoever saw you, Simon Grynaeus, loved you: such grace shone in your face. Whoever heard you, Simon Grynaeus, loved you: such wit flowed from your eloquent mouth’).
- Kivell & Spence: pg.168 — not in