S is for Sombrerero
By JACKSON, George, 1757
George Jackson Hat-Maker … Makes & Sells all sorts of Hats Wholesale & Retail at Reasonable Rates
- Author: JACKSON, George
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: At the Hat & Feather in Coleman Street
- Publication date: c1756
- Physical description: Engraved trade card, with manuscript annotations in ink, dated 1756 in mansucript to verso.
- Dimensions: 135 by 150mm. (5.25 by 6 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17958
Jackson’s career not only spanned many decades but also appears to have attracted clients from far and wide. Rather than being decorated with an elaborate design or depiction of his shop sign, Jackson’s trade card uses every available bit of space to advertise his services in five different European languages. In French, “George Jackson hat-maker” becomes known as “George Jackson Chappelier”, in German he is “Joris Jackson Hoedemaker”, in Italian “Georgio Jackson Fabricatore di Cappellia” and in Spanish “Jorge Jackson Sombrerero”.