Poyais bond certificate
By MACGREGOR, Gregor, 1823
Poyais Loan No. A551 One Hundred Pounds. Loan of Two Hundred Thousand Pounds Sterling, for the Service of the State & Government of Poyais, Divided into Special Bonds of £100 each, and secured by a General Mortgage Bond, Of which the following is a Copy.
- Author: MACGREGOR, Gregor
- Publication place: London
- Publication date: 6th October, 1823.
- Physical description: Bond certificate on paper engraved arms at head, central section of text bordered by two columns of printed coupons, signed off at foot by William John Richardson, a few small tears along old folds, 3 coupons excised from one column (redeemed).
- Dimensions: 520 by 370mm. (20.5 by 14.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 16286
The current bearer bond was issued in 1823, one of 2,000 £100 bonds issued by MacGregor. The uptake of the bonds was evidently quite dramatic as by the 23rd October, MacGregor had managed to sell all the bonds, and thus raised £200,000.