By SWAENBURG, Willem van; after, 1650
Petrus Bertius Collegii Illustr Ordinum Regens.
- Author: SWAENBURG, Willem van; after
- Publication place: [Leiden
- Publisher: Jacobum Marci & Justum à Colster
- Publication date: c1614].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 142 by 102mm. (5.5 by 4 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17779
During the early years of the seventeenth century, Bertius’ portrait was engraved by Willem van Swaenburg as part of a series of thirty-four portraits of Leiden professors, published by Andries Clouck in the same city in 1609. Bertius had studied at the University of Leiden as a young man, and held teaching positions there from 1593 until the late-1610s. As in every portrait in the series, Bertius is represented as a bust in an oval with a title below giving his name and position. In addition, a Latin phrase within the frame identified Bertius as “unum expetii a domino” (‘one of those chosen by God’). Swaenburg’s portraits were reused multiple times over the following decades, with all except one copied in reverse for a biographical work entitled ‘Alma Academia Leidensis’ first published in 1614.
- BM Bb,15.1079