Northcote’s striking print of the tiger
By NORTHCOTE, J[ames], [Engraved by] John MURPHY, 1790
- Author: NORTHCOTE, J[ames], [Engraved by] John MURPHY
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: John & Josiah Boydell, Cheapside, & at the Shakespeare Galleryy Pall Mall
- Publication date: May 1, 1790.
- Physical description: Mezzotint.
- Dimensions: 490 by 610mm. (19.25 by 24 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1059
The range of his output was considerable from history paintings such as the “Young Princes Murdered in the Tower” (1786), and the “Death of Wat Tyler” (1787); to genre scenes such as the “The Modest Girl and the Waton”, although he is best remembered for his fine portraits and the natural history paintings. His prodigious output would number about 2000 works and he would amass a not inconsiderable fortune of £40,000.
- Dictionary of National Biography, vol. 41, p.190–193, 1895.