View of the town and harbour of Kyleakin in the Island Of Skye. The Property of the Right Honorable Alexander Wentworth, Lord MacDonald. Founded 20th of September 1811. Designed and most respectfully inscribed to his Lordship by his most obedient humble Servant, James Gillespie, Architect and Surveyor General of Works for Scotland to his Royal Highness the Prince Regent.
- Author: GILLESPIE, James
- Publication place: London
- Publication date: 1812.
- Physical description: Aquatint with original hand-colour.
- Dimensions: 450 by 575mm (17.75 by 22.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11996
In 1811, Lord MacDonald had plans to create a bustling town and harbour at Kyleakin. He commissioned James Gillespie Graham to draw up designs of the new town, which MacDonald styled ‘New Liverpool’. The plans show Kyleakin filled with rows and crescents of terraced housing and a church with a tall, elegant spire. Only a few houses were constructed before the project ran out of money. In 1845, ‘The New Statistical Account of Scotland’ described the village as containing, “about a dozen of good slated houses…including some shops, and a very comfortable well-kept inn.”