By KILIAN, Wolf[gang], 1670
Conradus Peutinger Decimus Quintus Reipub. Augustanae. Duumuir. XVIII.
- Author: KILIAN, Wolf[gang]
- Publication place: [Augsburg
- Publisher: Wolfgang Kilian
- Publication date: c1660].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 190 by 131mm. (7.5 by 5.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17754
Around 1660, Wolfgang Kilian, a member of the notable German family of engravers, produced a portrait of Peutinger, which is quite remarkable in that it bears no resemblance any of the earlier images of the antiquarian, who is typically depicted as a rather fat man with chin-length hair and no beard, rather than the refined bearded gentleman shown by Killian. However, there is no doubt that it is the same Peutinger meant, as he is described in the oval frame that surrounds his image as a “Reipub. Augustanae Duumvir” in reference to his position as a senior official of the government of Augsburg (Augusta Vindelicorum). Each corner of the frame is ornamented with a crests surrounded by decorative motifs, with Peutinger’s own crest in the lower centre.