By HOVE, Frederick Hendrick van; after, 1699
Joseph Moxon Born at Wakefield August. 8. Anno 1627.
- Author: HOVE, Frederick Hendrick van; after
- Publication place: [London
- Publisher: W. Hawes
- Publication date: 1699].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 174 by 122mm. (6.75 by 4.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17794
The frontispiece to the 1699 edition of the work, shows a bust of Moxon in three-quarter perspective, wearing robes, a large square collar and a long wig. The portrait is set within an oval frame captioned with the subject’s name and date of birth. An unfurled scroll inside the frame contains further information about his trade in Latin. The first edition of the engraving had been produced in 1686, and was by Frederick Hendrik Van Hove, a Dutch engrave who lived in London from around 1660 to 1692. No changes have been made on the present example.
- Welcome 7068i
- BM Heal,Portraits.221.