Johann Baptist Homann
By WESTERMAYER, C[onrad] [after] KENCKEL, [Johann], 1810
Ioh. Bapt. Homann. Gebohr.zu Nieder Kamalch d. 20ton Märtz 1663. Gestorb. Zu Nürnberg d.1re Julü 1724.
- Author: WESTERMAYER, C[onrad] [after] KENCKEL, [Johann]
- Publication place: [Weimar
- Publisher: Friedrich Justin Bertuch
- Publication date: 1801].
- Physical description: Stipple-engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 132 by 89mm. (5.25 by 3.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17736
Another portrait of Johann Baptist Homann appeared in Volume 8 of the ‘Allgemeine Geographische Ephemeriden’ published in 1801. The engraving was executed in the magazine’s signature style, with the portrait in an oval and the subject’s name and significant dates given below, and like many others was made by Conrad Westermayer. It was based on a painting of Homann made by Johann Kenckel while the publisher was alive, and shows him wearing a formal coat and cravat, along with a large powdered wig.