By BRY, Theodor de, 1598
Joachimus Vadianus Med et poeta.
- Author: BRY, Theodor de
- Publication place: [Frankfurt
- Publisher: William Fitzer
- Publication date: 1627].
- Physical description: 3 leaves, engraved portrait and 2 leaves of letterpress in Latin.
- Dimensions: 175 by 110mm. (7 by 4.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17726
Vadian was among the Humanists to feature in Boissard’s ‘Bibliotheca Chalcographic’, a portrait gallery of hundreds of reformers published in 1627. Like most of the portraits in the work, Vadian’s was engraved by Johann Theodor de Bry and shows the subject seated at a desk wearing a cap and flowing robes. He is holding a book and on the surface in front of him a piece of parchment declares his date of death in 1551. Beneath this is a Latin epithet.