Jan Huyghen van Linschoten
By BRY, Theodor de, 1599
Soufrir por parvenir. Ioannis Hugonis a Linschoten Haerlememsis Æta 35 Aº 1598.
- Author: BRY, Theodor de
- Publication place: [Frankfurt
- Publisher: Theodore de Bry
- Publication date: 1599].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait, with letterpress text, minor tears to margin.
- Dimensions: 140 by 100mm. (5.5 by 4 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17721
In 1599, printer and publisher Theodor de Bry produced his own collections of travel accounts, the ‘Petits Voyages, or India Orientalis’, which eventually ran to eight volumes and included Linschoten’s ‘Itininerario’. Linschoten’s portrait, engraved by de Bry can be found among its pages. The cartographer’s bust is set within an oval frame surrounded by ornamental flora and fauna. In a cartouche at the bottom are two lines of flawed Latin: “Eoum nobis heic dat Lynscotius Orbem, / Lynscotum, artifici sculpta tabella manu”.