By HOLLAR, W[enceslaus], 1665
[Six Italian Views, Genoa, St Giugliano d’Arba and Besagno].
- Author: HOLLAR, W[enceslaus]
- Publication place: [London
- Publisher: Ar. Tooker]
- Publication date: 1665–9.
- Physical description: Six etchings.
- Dimensions: 71 by 115mm. (2.75 by 4.5 inches). Plate size 56 by 96mm.
- Inventory reference: 18604
The series includes a view of Besagno, with four large villas on the banks of the river, two of St Julian d’Arba, again with large country houses and waterways, and three of Genoa, one showing its fortified walls and great domed cathedral, and the other two presenting a more pastoral, idyllic picture. Some of the etchings contain figures, but on the whole the emphasis is clearly on the natural landscape and buildings.
The series was first published by Arthur Tooker in London, although the second state, as here, has his address removed.
- NHG Hollar 833–838 II
- Pennington 1095–1100 ii.