History of the River Thames
By STADLER, J[oseph] C[onstantine] after FARINGTON, Joseph, 1790
A set of four views  View of Somerset Place, including the Adelphi, &c;  View of London Bridge, Including the Church of St Magnus and the Monument;  View of Black-Friars Bridge and St Pauls Cathedral;  View of Westminster Bridge including Westminster Hall and the Abbey.
- Author: STADLER, J[oseph] C[onstantine] after FARINGTON, Joseph
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Pubd. as the Act directs by W. Byrne No. 79 Titchfield Street
- Publication date: 1790–1791.
- Physical description: Four etchings with aquatint, coloured, view of Westminster Bridge trimmed to upper and side neatline.
- Dimensions: Image: each 415 by 623mm (16.25 by 24.5 inches). Sheet:  532 by 759mm (21 by 30 inches); [2 & 3] 562 by 751mm (22 by 29.5 inches);  490 by 660mm (19.25 by 26 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12350
The prints show Somerset House, which had been rebuilt only 16 years before by architect Sir William Chambers to be used as government offices, the new London Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, and the old Westminster Bridge.
Joseph Farington (1747–1821) was an English artist and diarist. He was an original member of the Royal Academy, and helped found the now defunct British Institution. He specialised in topographical views of Britain, which were particularly popular while continental war prevented travel. The ‘History of the River Thames’ was very successful. A copy was presented to George III, who “turned over every leaf ” with “approbation” (Farington).
Joseph Constantine Stadler (fl.1780–1822) a German engraver, who settled in London in the 1780s, and specialised in aquatint engraving.