A View of the Canal and of the Gothick Tower in the Garden of his Grace the Duke of Argyl at Whitton. Vue du Canal, et de la Tour Gothique, dans le Jardin de Monsgr. Le Duc d’Argyl a Whitton, a 4 lieues a l’ouest de Londres.
- Author: WOOLLETT, W[illiam]
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for Robt. Sayer in Fleet Street, John Boydell in Cheapside, Henry Parker in Cornhill, Carington Bowles in St Pauls Church Yard, & Robt. Wilkinson in Cornhill
- Publication date: 1757
- Physical description: Etching and engraving.
- Dimensions: Image 330 by 507mm (13 by 20 inches). Sheet 420 by 570mm (16.5 by 22.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12341
The view shows ‘the Gothick Tower’. During the Gothic Revival, it was highly fashionable for landowners to put faux-medieval follies and ruins in their landscaped parks, especially if they were, like the Duke, Whig politicians, for whom the Gothic style represented the continuity of British political and religious institutions. Whitton’s tower was designed by Roger Morris, who also designed the Column of Victory at Blenheim Palace.
William Woollett (1735–85) was an English engraver, best known for his prints of the works of Benjamin West and George Stubbs. He was appointed engraver-in-ordinary to George III in 1776.