Giovanni Antonio Magini
By DAVID, Jerome, 1632
Io. Antonius Maginus Pat. Mathemat. In Bonon. Gymn. Profess. All’ ill.mo Sign.r e padrone mio collendiss.mo il sign.r Ferdinando Riario senatore di Bologna, nobile Venetiano, marchese di Castiglione di Valle d’Orcia e cameriero della chiave d’oro della Maesta Cesarea Ferdinando Secondo Imperatore.
- Author: DAVID, Jerome
- Publication place: [Bologna
- Publisher: David Jerome
- Publication date: c1632].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait, short tears to margins, slight foxing, text faded at bottom.
- Dimensions: 305 by 205mm. (12 by 8 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17717
Magini’s portrait was engraved by Jerome David, who was active in Paris during the early decades of the seventeenth century and then in Bologna and other parts of Italy until his death in Rome around 1670. Similar portraits, all showing the bust of the cartographer within an oval frame, appeared in books or collections around the same time, but it is not clear in which work the present plate was included. Beneath the image a caption in Italian highlights Magini’s most notable achievements, works and roles.