G is for Gunsmith
By SMITH, William, 1846
William Smith, Gun & Pistol Maker. … Wholesale & Retail Orders executed on the shortest notice.
- Author: SMITH, William
- Publication place: Birmingham
- Publisher: No. 110 Lancaster St.
- Publication date: 1846–1886
- Physical description: Engraved trade card.
- Dimensions: 65 by 95mm (2.5 by 3.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17861
Nonetheless, Smith’s trade card announces a host of gun- and shooting-related wares and services, including “Flints & Percussion Caps”, “Powder Flasks, Shot Belts &c”, “Flint Guns alter’d to percussion”, “Old Guns repair’d, clean’d & done up as new”, “guns restock’d, polish’d & engrav’d to any style, names cut, barrels brown’d &c”. In the centre of the trade card is an engraving showing a hunter out in the countryside with his two hounds. Two notes along the lower edge further reassure the reader that Smith has “every article in the. Gun line always on hand” and that he promises “wholesale & retail orders executed on the shortest notice”.