By BOONEN, A[rnold]; Gilliam van der GOUWEN; [after] A[rnold] HOUBRAKEN, 1724
Franciscus Valentinus, Dordracensis, Nuper Verbi Divini Minister Amboinensis, Aetat :58.
- Author: BOONEN, A[rnold]; Gilliam van der GOUWEN; [after] A[rnold] HOUBRAKEN
- Publication place: [Dordrecht & Amterdam]
- Publisher: J. v. Braam & G. O. Linden
- Publication date: 1724
- Physical description: Engraved portrait, with etching.
- Dimensions: 375 by 250mm. (14.75 by 9.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17752
The frontispiece to the first volume of ‘Oud en Nieuw Oost-Indiën’ was a portrait of Valentijn wearing a powdered wig, set within an oval supported by four allegorical figures representing the four continents, as well as a Muse and an oriental male figure. Beneath the image is extensive Latin text, the title noting that Valentijn had recently become a ‘Minister of the Divine word in Indonesia’ (“nuper verbi divini minister amboinensis”). Further text beneath this, penned by J. Jensius, further extols the authors virtues.