Pair of views of Fish Street and Ludgate Street To the Right Honorable Thomas Skinner, Lord Major of the City of London. This View of Fish Street from Grace Church Street, Representing the Monument and the Church of St. Magnus London Bridge, is by Permission most respectfully Dedicated by his Lordships much Obliged & Obedient Humble Servant, John Curtis; To Sir James Sanderson Knight and Bart. Member of Parliament for Malmsbury in Wiltshire, Alderman of the City of London, Col. of the Regiments of the City Militia, President of Bridewell and Bethlehem Hospitals &c. This View of Ludgate Street, from Ludgate Hill, Representing the Grand West Front of that noble Edifice the Cathedral of St Paul, and the Church of St Martin Ludgate, is by Permission most respectfully Dedicated by his much Obliged & Obedient Humble servant J. Curtis.
- Author: MORRIS, Thomas, after MARLOW, William
- Publication place: Twickenham
- Publisher: John Curtis
- Publication date: 1795.
- Physical description: Pair of engravings with etching.
- Dimensions: Image: each 500 by 405mm (19.75 by 16 inches). Sheet: each 675 by 540mm (26.5 by 21.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12456
The other shows a view of St Paul’s Cathedral, the church of St Martin-within-Ludgate and Ludgate Street, which at that time was a fashionable and dynamic area. Britain’s fledgling newspaper industry was growing in Ludgate Hill, sprouting from the printers in the Cathedral churchyard. The London Coffee House, next to St Martin-within-Ludgate, was also a meeting point for Enlightenment intellectuals. The print is dedicated to Sir James Sanderson (1741–98), a banker who became Lord Mayor of London in 1792, and was made a baronet in late 1794, possibly inspiring the dedication.
Thomas Morris (c1750-c1811) was an engraver, training as a pupil under William Woollett before working on his own.
William Marlow (1740–1813) was a topographical artist. He worked in London from 1768, and made several works showing the city, joining the Society of Artists as a Fellow in 1771.