By John Faber II; after Thomas MURRAY, 1722
Edmundus Halleius Astronomus Regius et Geometricae Professor Savilianus
- Author: John Faber II; after Thomas MURRAY
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: Sold by Faber in Fountain Court near ye Fountain Taverne in the Strand
- Publication date: 1722
- Physical description: Mezzotint portrait
- Dimensions: 355 by 260mm. (14 by 10.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 18175
The portrait was published by John Faber II (c1684-1756) after a portrait by Thomas Murray (1663–1735). Faber II was the son of John Faber I, born in Amsterdam, he emigrated to England in about 1698. He attended the academy in St. Martin’s Lane, and became the leading mezzotint engraver of his day: engraving two series after Godfrey Kneller — twelve Hampton Court Beauties (1727) and forty-seven portraits of members of the Kit-Cat Club (1735). He also completed forty-two mezzotints after portraits of Thomas Hudson and fifteen after Allan Ramsay; and made mezzotints after Philip Mercier’s paintings.
- BM 1885,0509.1538
- Burgess, ‘Portraits of doctors & scientists in the Wellcome Institute’, 1973, no. 1280.1
- Wellcome Library no. 3948i