Docks by “The Colossus of Roads”
By BAYNES, T[homas] M[ann], 1828
View of the Proposed St Katharine’s Docks.
- Author: BAYNES, T[homas] M[ann]
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: C. Hullmandel
- Publication date: 1829
- Physical description: Lithograph.
- Dimensions: Image: 303 by 466mm (12 by 18.25 inches). Sheet: 350 by 500mm (13.75 by 19.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12462
The new docks were named after St Katharine’s Hospital, founded by Matilda of Boulogne in 1147, which was demolished along with the slums that had grown up around it to make way for the new development. The area was particularly popular with foreign craftsmen, as it was exempt from the London guild restrictions.
- BM 1880,1113.1688
- MOL 002069.