Charles Marie de la Condamine
By WESTERMAYER, C[onrad], 1805
Charles Marie de la Condamine. Gebohr. zu Paris d.28 Jan 1701. Gestorb daselbst.
- Author: WESTERMAYER, C[onrad]
- Publication place: [Weimar
- Publisher: Friedrich Justin Bertuch
- Publication date: c1805].
- Physical description: Stipple-engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 140 by 90mm. (5.5 by 3.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17732
Condamine also prepared the first map of the Amazon region based on astro-geodetic observations, and made notable contributions to the great ‘Encyclopédie’ published between 1751 and 1772. The portrait in Zach and Betruch’s geographical journal was based on an earlier engraving by P. Choffard, and shows Condamine in profile wearing a peruke, suit and lace cravat, accompanied by his name and date of death written below.