Celebrating the Centenary of the British Museum and the complete of its Greek revival facade
By BUTLER, Augustus, 1853
The British Museum.
- Author: BUTLER, Augustus
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: Stannard & Dixon
- Publication date: 1853
- Physical description: Tinted lithograph, with contemporary hand-colour in full.
- Dimensions: 320 by 480mm (12.5 by 19 inches).
- Inventory reference: 18136
Founded in 1753, when an Act of Parliament created the “world’s first free, national, public museum”, its doors open to “all studious and curious persons” in 1759. As always, some public were more welcome than others, and visitors had to apply for tickets to see the museum’s collections during limited visiting hours, restricting entry to the well-connected, who were given personal tours of the collections by the museum’s Trustees and curators. Things relaxed a bit in the 1830s, when regulations changed and opening hours extended.
- BM 1880,1113.4426