Blackfriars Bridge and St Pauls
By TURNER, Daniel and SUTHERLAND, Thomas, 1803
View of Blackfriars Bridge and St Paul’s, from the Patent Shot Manufactory on the South Side of the River
- Author: TURNER, Daniel and SUTHERLAND, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Publish’d by Laurie & Whittle, 53 Fleet Street
- Publication date: 1803.
- Physical description: Engraved print with aquatint.
- Dimensions: 300 by 430mm. (11.75 by 17 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12402
The shot manufactory tower shown was the cutting edge of military technology. Invented by William Watt in 1782, it was used to create bullets: lead was dropped through a sieve at the top of the tower, formed perfect spheres as it fell, and was caught in a vat of water to cool it. Watts built the tower in London in 1789, with Philip George and Colonel Samuel Worrell as his partners.
- Adams 1983 191.31 (1880 reprint)
- Adams, B. (1983). London Illustrated 1604–1851. London: The Library Association.
- BL Maps Ktop XXII 38‑f
- BM 1880,1113.5853.