Benedictus Arias Montanus
By BOULONOIS, E[sme] de; [after Philips GALLE], 1682
Benedictus Arias Montanus.
- Author: BOULONOIS, E[sme] de; [after Philips GALLE]
- Publication place: [Brussels
- Publication date: c1682].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 190 by 135mm. (7.5 by 5.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17722
In 1682, Montano’s portrait appeared in Isaac Bullard’s ‘Academie des sciences et des arts, contenant les vies, & les eloges historiques des hommes illustres’, a collection of short biographies of notable men of learning, illustrated by their portraits. Showing the priest in three-quarter perspective wearing a fur-trimmed coat and collar, the image was engraved by Esme de Boulonois, like many of those in Bullard’s work. It appears to have been based on a portrait of Montano engraved the previous century by Philips Galle.
- BM 1872,1012.355