By LARMESSIN, Nicolas de; [after] Peter Paul RUBENS, 1682
- Author: LARMESSIN, Nicolas de; [after] Peter Paul RUBENS
- Publication place: [Brussels
- Publisher: François Foppens I
- Publication date: 1682].
- Physical description: Engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 185 by 135mm. (7.25 by 5.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17724
Peter Paul Rubens worked for the Officina Plantiniana during Moretus’s period at its head, producing designs for engraving; he was also commissioned to paint portraits for publication. This engraving is in fact based on an oil painting made by Rubens during the 1610s, which hangs in the Plantin-Moretus Museum to this day. It shows Moretus dressed in a large cloak and collar, looking into the distance with his hand on a stack of tomes. It was engraved by Nicolas de Larmessin for Bullard’s ‘Académie des Sciences et Arts’.
- BM 1872,1012.357