By ARNOUT, Jules, [drawn and lithographed]; [printed by] LEMERCIER & Cie., 1846
London, view taken in balloon; The City London view taken in balloon. Londres en ballon, vue prise au dessus de Waterloo Road : Londres en ballon, vue prise au dessus de Blackfriars Bridge [together with:] London Charing Cross The Strand, St James Park view taken in balloon ; Londres en ballon Charing Cross, Le Strand, Le Parc St James vue prise au dessus de Waterloo Road.
- Author: ARNOUT, Jules, [drawn and lithographed]; [printed by] LEMERCIER & Cie.
- Publication place: London and Paris
- Publisher: London, Gambart, Junin & Co. at 25 Berners St. Oxf. St.; Paris, Bulla Frères et Jouy rue Tiquetonne 18
- Publication date: 1846–1848
- Physical description: Two lithographs.
- Dimensions: Image: each 290 by 445mm (11.5 by 17.5 inches). Sheet: 390 by 555mm (15.25 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12334
Arnout was most famous for a series of prints called the ‘Excursions aèriennes’, including the present examples. The series comprised 21 lithographs of bird’s eye views of French and English towns.
Arnout’s primary printer and publisher was Joseph Rose Lemercier (1803–1887), whose Paris firm specialized in lithographic printing. Together, they collaborated with publishers throughout Europe to distribute Arnout’s scenes.
The second view looks north across the Thames towards Whitehall and the Strand with Hyde Park and Regent’s Park (with the Colosseum) in the distance. Hungerford Suspension Bridge (opened 1845) is shown. The Houses of Parliament are represented as if complete but with no ventilator tower and a clock tower more slender than that eventually built.
Ralph Hyde distinguishes two states of the second ‘City London’ print, the first without the Gambart imprint.
- BM 1880,1113.5506
- Met 62.696.2. Ralph Hyde, private notes.