Aveline’s pre-Fire view of London
By AVELINE, Pierre, 1676
Londres Ville capital du Royaume d’Angleterre.
- Author: AVELINE, Pierre
- Publication place: Paris
- Publisher: Fait par Aveline sur le Petit Pont
- Publication date: after 1676, possibly c.1686
- Physical description: Copper engraving with fine early hand-colour.
- Dimensions: Image: 340 by 520mm (13.5 by 20.5 inches). Sheet: 375 by 555mm (14.75 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12425
This early state with Aveline’s imprint is rare; it is usually found in later states with the new St Paul’s Cathedral, or with the imprint “A Paris chez Jean, a rue de Jean Beauvais”, as recorded by Scouloudi. The British Library copy is catalogued with a tentative date of 1665, presumably to accommodate the pre-fire St Paul’s, but as the BnF gives Aveline’s date of birth as 1656, that seems unlikely. Aveline set up business at le Petit-Pont in 1676, so the print must have been made after that date, possibly around 1686, when Aveline was granted a privilege to publish 115 views of royal residences (BnF). The second state has St Paul’s re-engraved sporting a dome, intended to represent post-Fire, re-built London.
Pierre Aveline (1656–1722) was a French printmaker and publisher, who specialized in topographic prints.
- Scouloudi, pp.48–9 (second state).
- Scouloudi, I. (1953). Panoramic views of London, 1600–1666 with some later adaptations: an annotated list. London: Library Committee of the Corporation of London.
- BL Maps * 3518.(5.)
- Pierre Aveline, biography, BnF website, accessed via http://data.bnf.fr/15288511/pierre_ aveline/