An equestrian portrait of Oliver Cromwell
By VAN DEN HOEYE, Rombout, 1650
Olivarius Cromwell Exercituum Angliae Republicae Dux Generalis. Locum-tenens et Gubernator Hiberniae Oxoniensis Academie Cancellarius.
- Author: VAN DEN HOEYE, Rombout
- Publication place: [Amsterdam
- Publisher: Rombout van den Hoye
- Publication date: 1650–1658].
- Physical description: Engraved print.
- Dimensions: Image: 550 by 430mm (21.75 by 17 inches). Sheet: 580 by 435mm (22.75 by 17.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12325
Rombout van den Hoeye (1622–71) was a Dutch publisher and printmaker, who often published political prints. He would later publish a satire showing Cromwell aping the station of a king.
O’Donoghue and Hake describe the print as a reworked version of Haelweg’s portrait of Christian IV of Denmark, but Layard disputes this.