Alexander von Humboldt
By COOK, C[onrad]; [after] Emma GAGGIOTTI RICHARDS, 1854
- Author: COOK, C[onrad]; [after] Emma GAGGIOTTI RICHARDS
- Publication place: Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, & New York
- Publisher: William Mackenzie
- Publication date: 1854
- Physical description: Engraved portrait.
- Dimensions: 275 by 185mm. (10.75 by 7.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17790
The present portrait, which shows Humboldt seated against a plain dark background wearing a double-breasted coat with chivalric star, was engraved by Conrad Cook after Emma Gaggiotti-Richards and published by William Mackenzie during the mid-nineteenth century. Gaggiotti-Richards was an Italian painter, musician and singer born in Rome in 1825, who moved to England after marrying an English journalist, where her work found favour with no other than Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
- Wellcome 4401i
- BM 1901,1022.1354.