A walk in the Park
By SOIRON, F[rançois] D[avid] after DAYES, E[dward]; GAUGAIN, T[homas] after DAYES, E[dward], 1793
The Promenade in St James’s Park; An Airing in Hyde Park.
- Author: SOIRON, F[rançois] D[avid] after DAYES, E[dward]; GAUGAIN, T[homas] after DAYES, E[dward]
- Publication place: London; London
- Publisher: Publish’d by T. Gaugain No. 15 Five Fields Row, Chelsea; Publish’d by T. Gaugain, No.4 Little Compton Street, Soho
- Publication date: 1793; 1796.
- Physical description: Two engravings with stippling.
- Dimensions: Image: 400 by 635mm (15.75 by 25 inches). Sheet: each 525 by 735mm (20.75 by 29 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12382
Hyde Park was the fashionable place to ride in London, as shown by the mounted gentleman and the lady in a carriage in the background. Rotten Row was the place for individual riders, and the Drive was the home of the light carriages which came into fashion as the surfaces of the London roads improved.
Edward Dayes (1763–1804) was a British painter and draughtsman to the Duke of York. Thomas Gaugain (1748–1805) and François David Soiron (b.1764) were French and Swiss-born engravers respectively who came to England to ply their trade.