With a glimpse of the great south continent
By ORTELIUS, Abraham, 1598
Indiae Orientalis Insularumque Adiacientium Typus
- Author: ORTELIUS, Abraham
- Publication place: [Antwerp
- Publisher: Christopher Plantin
- Publication date: 1598].
- Physical description: Engraved map, French text on verso.
- Dimensions: 450 by 560mm. (17.75 by 22 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17587
The geography is based on Gerard Mercator’s 1569 world map. In the Sunda Islands, Sumatra and Java are oversized; in the Philippines Luzon is omitted. The mythical city of Quivira is marked on the coast of California. In the sea to the south of America, a ship is being attacked by two whales, causing its cargo of barrels to float away. Two mermaids, taken from Diego Gutierrez’s map of America, frolic below. The Portuguese coat of arms appears at the upper left corner, reflecting Portuguese supremacy in the region.
- Koeman/Meurer: 48
- Karrow: 1/68, vdKrogtAN: 8400:31
- van den Broecke Ort 166.