William West’s rare map of England and Wales
By WEST, William, 1804
A New and Correct Map of England & Wales with the Principal Roads and the distances from Place to Place in measur’d miles to which is added Six Persective Views of its Antiquity.
- Author: WEST, William
- Publication place: [London
- Publication date: c1804].
- Physical description: Wood engraved map, fine original outline hand-colour.
- Dimensions: 510 by 470mm. (20 by 18.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14887
William West received training from the engraver and publisher James Evans in the 1780s. He would later take over the running of John Evans’ (James’ brother) business in partnership with John’s son James. West for the rest of his career was know as a publisher of children’s educational material, and only known to have published two maps, the present map of England and Wales, and a two sheet map of the world. Both of which are exceedingly rare.
We are unable to trace an other example of this state of the map. The British Library houses the only other extant example dated 1st March 1804 and with the name of William West. The present map bears on imprint.
- BL Cartographic Items Maps CC.6.a.31.