Western Ukraine — Carpathian Mountains
By LE VASSEUR DE BEAUPLAN, Guillaume, 1665
Ukraine Pars Quae Pokutia Vulgo dicitur.
- Author: LE VASSEUR DE BEAUPLAN, Guillaume
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publication date: 1665.
- Physical description: Engraved map in contemporary hand-colour, heightened in gold.
- Dimensions: 430 by 570mm. (17 by 22.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 9776
The map first appeared in the ‘Atlas Major’, which, in its various editions, was the largest atlas ever published. It was justly famed for its production values, its high typographic standard, and the quality of its engraving, ornamentation, binding and colouring. The atlas frequently served as the official gift of the Dutch Republic to princes and other authorities. It is one of the most lavish and highly prized of all seventeenth-century illustrated books.