Warwickshire — Late Georgian Birmingham

By PIGGOTT SMITH, John, 1828 

Birmingham Engraved from a Minute Trigonometrical Survey Made in the Years 1825 & 1825.

British Isles English Counties
  • Author: PIGGOTT SMITH, John
  • Publication place: Birmingham
  • Publisher: Beilby, Knott & Beilby
  • Publication date: 25 March 1828.
  • Physical description: Large engraved plan in 48 sections, laid on linen, folding into calf slipcase, red morocco spine with label lettering.
  • Dimensions: 1360 by 1270mm. (53.5 by 50 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 3190

Notes

John Pigott-Smith (1798–1861) was the Borough Surveyor for Birmingham Borough Council. He trained as a land surveyor and valuer, and produced several parish surveys after starting his own business. He was elected as the Borough Surveyor and oversaw the transition of the city streets from cobbles to macadam. His advice on the process was even solicited by the municipality of Paris after one too many riots where cobbles were used as missiles. Pigott Smith was appointed Surveyor to the Commissioners of the Birmingham Improvement Acts and then Borough Surveyor in 1851, holding the office until his retirement in 1857.

The map shows the city and surrounding area in detail, with a Grecian border. The inset map at the upper left corner is an earlier plan made in 1791. It is dedicated to William Legge, 4th Earl of Dartmouth. The Earl took an interest in science, and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1822, and was also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.